A waist trainer is a compression garment with in-built steel or acrylic boning system. Millions of women and men use a waist trainer to keep their body in shape and look better. You must know how to use a waist trainer properly to get all instant benefits it offers.
You need to gather enough knowledge about waist trainers and waist training. For that, you can talk to a fitness coach or read about waist trainers online. In this post, I am going to explain all the aspects of how to use a waist trainer to get fast results yet remain safe against its side effects.
Is a Waist Trainer Safe to Use?
Yes, a waist trainer is safe to use as long as you use it in its ideal way. A waist trainer offers so many benefits but it can also harm if you use it carelessly or use it to an extreme level. Therefore it is important to use a waist trainer as per the safety tips given by the experts.
The waist trainers are made of latex or neoprene and spandex, polyester, nylon, lycra or cotton materials. If you have a sensitive skin then wear a tank top or a T-shirt under a waist trainer to avoid rashes, burns, itching and skin irritation.
You should not use a waist trainer when sleeping because it prevents air circulation in the midsection, keeps it tight and can cause breathing difficulties. You should wear a waist trainer snug fit i.e. neither loose nor too tight. If you wear it too tightly, it can hurt your skin, damage internal organs and cause many other problems.
How to Use a Waist Trainer Properly
You need to know some basic things about waist trainers to use a waist trainer properly at home. In addition, you should have a good quality waist trainer in your correct size, only then it can offer high compression to help you achieve desired results.
First of all, you should buy a waist trainer in your correct size. Make sure that the waist trainer has multiple rows of hooks with eyes to offer adjustable fitting to let you change compression level time to time. You should select a waist trainer with steel/acrylic bones so that waist trainer does not roll up or down when you move/bend.
Here I provide 3 important points of how to use a waist trainer to make it easier for you. Whether you are a beginner or a regular user, my explanation about waist training and waist trainers will help you get the most out of your waist trainer and help you achieve your fitness goals faster.
#1. How to Start Using a Waist Trainer:
When you come to know about amazing benefits cum results of waist trainers, you want to achieve them for yourself. You should not hurry to get fast results by doing hard waist training from the first day, you should go slowly with it.
- On the first day, start using a waist trainer for one hour only. Wear it at last row of hooks to keep it comfortable for your body.
- Wear your waist trainer snug fit for one hour on first three days, then increase the period to 1.5 to 2 hours but keep the compression level same.
- After five days, you can see that your body has become familiar with your waist trainer and now you can increase the using period and compression level.
- On sixth day, you should try wearing your waist trainer at 2nd last row of hooks to make it a bit tight. Keep the waist trainer on for 3 to 4 hours.
- After seven days of waist training, you should take a day off to relax and give rest to your muscles.
- The next day, you should continue your waist training with 4 hours of waist trainer use at firm compression level.
- You should increase one hour period after every two days to reach 6 to 8 hours of waist training per day.
- After two weeks, you will be able to use a waist trainer at least for 6 hours a day with firm compression yet your body doesn’t feel pain, uneasiness, numbness or anything unusual with it.
So, this is the way to start using a waist trainer to let your body adjust with it and it does not feel like a punishment for you.
#2. How to Use a Waist Trainer to Lose Belly Fat Permanently
When you use a waist trainer for instant body shaping, it does not require further activities. But it won’t bring any permanent change even if you keep using a waist trainer for months or years. So, you may ask what you need to do to lose belly fat using a waist trainer.
In order to lose belly fat, you need to combine your waist trainer with workout and a proper diet plan. Now, I am going to explain the 3 steps of how to use a waist trainer to lose belly fat permanently.
Step I: Wear Your Waist Trainer Everyday
You should wear your waist trainer for 6 to hours everyday to train your waist to adjust with it. You can start with 1-2 hours in initial days and gradually increase the wearing period as your body gets familiar with the waist trainer. The only rule you should follow is to wear it regularly with firm compression to keep control on belly fat.
Step II: Do Workout with the Waist Trainer on
You must do workout when the waist trainer is wrapped on your body. In workout, you should do strengthening exercises, belly exercises, cardio exercises and other exercises required for losing belly fat. You should do one hour of workout everyday to lose belly fat, lose weight and get a flat belly permanently.
Step III: Follow a Nutritious Diet Plan
You should consult a dietitian to get a proper nutritious diet plan that is suitable for your health. I strictly advise you not to follow any random diet plan blindly, it’s better to ask a professional dietitian to prescribed a low-fat healthy diet for you which can make your waist training more effective to lose belly fat.
In this way, you can use a waist trainer to lose belly fat and get a flatten belly permanently. It may take several weeks but you have to be consistent in all 3 steps and have patience to achieve your goal at the right time.
#3. How to Use a Waist Trainer for Fast Results:
You can use a waist trainer to instantly change your body shape and hide all the fat. The waist trainer uses high compression to reduce your waistline at least by 2-3 inches. In addition, it eliminates belly fat, belly pooch and FUPA plus all fat rolls & bulges to flatten your stomach and abdomen in no-time.
So, you need a high quality, steel-boned waist trainer and you need to wear it everyday for minimum 6 hours to get fast results. Kindly remember that the results offered by a waist trainer are temporary and will go away soon after you take it off or stop using it.
Who Should Not Use a Waist Trainer?
Pregnant women and people with a critical health condition should not use a waist trainer. The people with upset stomach should also not use a waist trainer as it can worsen their condition.
People with sensitive skin should not use a waist trainer on bare skin. If your skin is sensitive/allergic to latex or neoprene then I strongly recommend you not to use a waist trainer directly on your skin. You can wear a T-shirt or tank top under a waist trainer to save yourself from allergic reactions.
The people who have recently gone under a surgery should not use a waist trainer until the stitches are healed. It is better to talk with your doctor to know from when you can use a waist trainer after liposuction, C-section, abdominal surgery or any other surgical procedure.
Pros and Cons of Using a Waist Trainer
The waist trainers are popular among millions of women and men. The main reason behind the popularity is their quick results. But it doesn’t mean that waist trainers are all good and nothing bad. Like everything else, a waist trainer offer many benefits and some risks that I will describe as pros and cons of using a waist trainer as follows:
Pros of Waist Trainers [Benefits]:
The waist trainers provide many benefits that are described as under:
- They instantly reduce your waistline by 3 to 5 inches to give you an hourglass shape.
- They keep control over your stomach and abdomen to flatten them with high compression.
- They eliminate FUPA, lower belly pooch, tummy tuck, belly fat, back fat rolls/bulges and all lumps & bumps in your midsection.
- They provide back support to keep it upright to relieve back pain and improve your posture.
- They uplift breasts to support them, prevent sagging and make you look better.
- They reduce appetite with high compression around your midsection so that you can’t overeat.
- They provide consistent support to your stomach, abdomen, waist and back to ease pain and allow postpartum recovery process after childbirth.
- They raise your core temperature to promote thermal activity to increase sweat and blood circulation in your midsection. Your body eliminates toxins and excess water through sweat, so you also lose water weight.
Cons of Waist Trainers [Risks]:
The waist trainers also have some risks that I have mentioned below:
- They are uncomfortable for their high compression around midsection. You may not feel breathable and free/relaxed when the waist trainer is holding your waist tightly.
- They can cause rashes, skin irritation, itching, burns and other skin infections to people with sensitive skin. The skin infections from waist trainers occur when your skin is sensitive towards latex, neoprene or other material that your waist trainer consists.
- They increase sweating which may lead to dehydration if you don’t drink enough amount of water throughout a day.
- They provide high compression that can cause numbness, acid reflux, indigestion and pain/discomfort issues.
- Sleeping with a waist trainer can cause breathing difficulties and a tight waist trainer can cause internal organ damage as well.
So, these are the pros and cons of using a waist trainer that you need to know. I suggest you to keep it in mind to get maximum benefits from your waist trainer and avoid the risks.
Can Everyone Use a Waist Trainer?
Yes, everyone can use a waist trainer except pregnant women and people with a critical health condition. A waist trainer is suitable to use for all women and men who intend to have an hourglass body shape. Not just body shaping, anyone who wants to work on their body to achieve a fitness goal can use a waist trainer.
Using a waist trainer is safe for every person who is physically healthy. A woman should not use a waist trainer when she is pregnant because the compression of a waist trainer can induce labor, interrupt baby’s development and harm the baby inside womb.
People with critical diseases like high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol should not use a waist trainer. If you have any critical disease and you still want to use a waist trainer then you should consult with your doctor first and use a best waist trainer only if the doctor allows you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most people believe that they know how to use a waist trainer because they believe it is just a waist belt to put on. Wearing a waist trainer is a simple technique but using a waist trainer properly is a long term process that requires enough knowledge about it.
In order to make it simpler for you, here I provide some frequently asked questions about how to use a waist trainer and related queries. Kindly read all the FAQs and their answers to improve your knowledge about it.
Q.1 How do you properly use a waist trainer?
You can properly use a waist trainer by buying it in your correct size, wearing it on daily basis, doing yoga or workout, eating healthy food and making it a part of your routine to achieve long-term, permanent results.
As per my opinion, I can say that you are using a waist trainer properly when it shows effective results on your body shape and you don’t feel like a punishment while using it.
Q.2 Can I use a waist trainer for postpartum support?
Yes, you can use a waist trainer for postpartum support as it keeps control on your abdomen with firm compression to ease your postpartum recovery process.
Q.3 Can I use a waist trainer after C-section?
Yes, you can use a waist trainer after C-section when your stitches are completely healed and your doctor has given you the consent to use a waist trainer. It may take up to 8 weeks in healing the stitches after C-section, thereafter you can use a waist trainer.
Q.4 How often should I wash my waist trainer?
You should wash your waist trainer at least twice a week if you use it everyday. In case you don’t use it daily then wash your waist trainer once in a week or 10 days.
Q.5 How soon can I use my waist trainer after washing it?
You can use your waist trainer after 12 to 24 hours of washing it. After washing your waist trainer, you need to hang it outside, away from sunlight, to air dry. Depending upon the climate in your area, the waist trainer may take 8 to 12 hours or up to 24 hours to dry. You can use your waist trainer only when it is completely dry.
After learning how to use a waist trainer properly, you can get your body in shape and also achieve long term results. I have explained all important information about waist trainers and shared my own experience about it.
I hope you have got all answers about using a waist trainer safely and effectively. In case you still have any questions then feel free to ask me in the comment section, I will be happy to answer your questions as soon as possible.